3.8.09

Cheese Pudding



So here it is, straight out of the oven, all golden and bubbling, Cheese Pudding, a staple of Maggie's family who was given the recipe by her mother-in-law, Janie, who apparently grew up on it herself. Very informal family too, no surnames this lot. Or maybe they just want to hide their identity from militant cows.

It's certainly a dairy-lovers dream.

Cheese pudding
5 -6 slices of bread and butter
2 eggs
a little mustard
salt pepper
1 pt/560ml milk
3-4oz/85-115g grated cheese - I used a mature cheddar
1 oz /45g breadcrumbs

Butter the bread and cut into halves diagonally, and lay in an oven-proof dish.
Beat the eggs with the milk and add the mustard and 3/4 of the grated cheese
Stir and pour the lot over the bread.
Top with the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs

Bake in the oven for 40min-45mins at 170C/340F

And here it is on the plate - no looker, but there's an honesty to it that is appealing. Simple hearty fayre



So, what was it like?

It was a stodgy, cheesy mess and not unappealing either, exactly like a savoury bread and butter pudding, and I can see the appeal on a cold winter's night with an empty stomach, but, and I have to be honest here, it was way too stodgy.

This I believe - ok, I now know - was down to me as I used home-baked wholemeal bread which I probably cut too thickly (don't you just hate middleclass, namby-pamby values at times?). Because when I emailed Maggie to mention this she was horrified at the suggestion of using anything so wholesome, as it must be made with pre-cut white.

Apparently, the ideal garnish is a packet of Cheese and Onion Crisps (potato chips), so I guess the clues were there.

Now, on to the all important scores out of ten, a completely meaningless rating system devised by my more competitive side:

Taste: 7
Ease of making: 10
Family approval rating: 6

Which gives us a Recipe Orphan Rating (or a more snappy ROR) of 23

1 comment:

  1. I know you're going to find this tough, as a namby pamby middleclass type, but crisps are ideal as a topping for loads of dishes.Someone did a macaroni and cheese for me once with crushed up ready salted and my god, was good!

    For further evidence of the rightness of crisps as ingredients, look at crisp sandwiches. Not something I would probably be seen consuming outside the house, but in context, mmhh! Mhhmm!

    ReplyDelete